Troy Donockley International Forum Forum Index
Troy Donockley International Forum
International Forum about Troy Donockley
Troy Donockley International Forum Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Troy Donockley International Forum Forum Index -> Troy Donockley -> Interviews
Previous topic :: Next topic  
The Islander

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul - 22:55 (2009)    Post subject: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW FOR THE FORUM Reply with quote

First Part > About " The Madness Of Crowds"

- What are your inspiration spring for the album " The Madness Of Crowds"?

The inspiration for the music comes from everywhere....the natural world and the unnatural world ; My own reaction to the beauty and horrors of life. These are at the core of the music.

-Why this title?
It comes from a book called "Extraordinary Delusions and the madness of crowds" and I am very interested in how people can believe crazy things to such a point that they can destroy each other because of them. So it fitted very nicely with the mood I was in when writing the title track..

-How as taken the composition and the recording of your last album?
The album has taken about 5 years to complete because I have been so busy touring , but, because of modern technology, I have a studio at home and record my music there. I then take it to another studio to mix it with a professional engineer because I am a bit rubbish!

-As you approach of the world of metal, symphonical in particular, changed your music influences?
It hasnt changed my musical influences as such but it has opened up a a whole new area for me to explore. I love the power of Metal with Orchestra and they are perfect partners if done Nightwish.

-How would you describe " The Madness Of Crowds"?
Difficult...It is a fusion of Classical, folk, and Rock music in that influences from those genres can be traced, but it is more than that. It really has to be heard.

-In one of your song "Now, Voyager", Tuomas Holopainen recite a poem of Walt Whitman. What represent this poet for your? And why did you want Tuomas Holopainen in particular?
For many years I have been a big fan of the poetry of Walt Whitman. I highly recommend "Song of Myself" to everyone. It turns out that one of the things that Tuomas and I have in common ( and we have many things) is this love of Whitman. So, when I put together the piece "Now, Voyager" I had friends and family read one line each from a poem and I placed them into the music. But I needed someone with an interesting voice to read the whole passage and because he is a massive fan like myself, Tuomas was the perfect choice. And listening to it now, it was definitely the correct choice...

- What are your favorite song on your last album and why?
Oh I can't say a favourite...the other songs might get jealous!

-How do you compose your songs?
I let the music grow itself in my mind and then I either write it down as notes or play the music on piano into my computer and then expand on it there.

-Do you feel that your music has evoluated since your beginning?
Oh yes, it is constantly evolving. Music is a bottomless well and I am always drawing from it every day. I have always wanted nothing more than to live as a musician and I am lucky in that I can.

-Do you think make a your for promote " The Madness Of Crowds"?
I would absolutely LOVE to go out and play this music live but it would be impossibly expensive...In this world of simple-minded reality TV, nobody invests money in Art music anymore!

-You have colaborated with a lot of artists and made a lot of gigs with them. What are your best collaboration?
I have such a splendid time wherever I am so it is difficult to name any one collaboration. I love them all!
-Have you already compose some songs for your next album?
"The Madness of Crowds" exhausted me, so I have taken some time off writing. But, already I am being hassled by little ideas, nudging me for attention. I will be starting again towards the end of the year.....

Second Part > About Nightwish

-How as taken the recording od " Dark Passion Play"? Did you impressionate to play in the mythical Abbey Road Studio or not?
Recording DPP was wonderful. I had been in the legendary Abbey Road a few times before so knew what to expect but I am always amazed at the atmosphere there. When recording "Last of the Wilds" the engineer told me that the microphone I was using was used for recording 'The Dark Side of the Moon' by Pink Floyd!!!! I nearly wet myself with excitement...

-How as taken your first meeting with Nightwish? And how have you been contact?
My friend Pip Williams does the orchestral arrangements for the band and that was how we made contact. When I first met the band it was just Tuomas, Jukka &  Emmpu but it became clear very early on that we would become great friends. And we are.

- Do you have nightwish's songs that you like in particular? And Why?
I love the new album is has a rich, dark atmosphere that I can identify with; Tuomas and I share a lot of the same influences, musical and otherwise, so it is natural that the pair of us should understand each others music. In particular at the moment, I do love the widescreen sweep of 'Poet and the pendulum' ....

-As Tuomas leaving you free for the composition of the songs taht you plays with Nightwish?
No, the parts were already written but I did a little bit of improvisation.

-Who had the idea to play the song "Finlandia" as introduction of the Nightwish's concerts?
That was Tuomas' idea. On my first album "The Unseen Stream" (1998), I did an arrangement of Finlandia and it is this that caused it to happen. We went into a studio in Helsinki and built a new arrangement with full band and this is how we have been opening the shows. It has been getting a glorious response from the audience..

-What are the best public that you had met during the tour with Nightwish?
Nightwish fans are such a polite and delightful lot! Again it is hard to say because they are all so nice to me. They are all very serious music lovers and thats what makes them such interesting people to meet.

-How do you feel during this tour with them?
The tour was wonderful. It was never less than brilliant fun and awe inspiring performance - the stage show is something to behold. And now that I am an "Honorary Member" of the band I will be doing lots more in the future, all being well...

-An other collaboration with Nightwish for their next album? And maybe an other members of the band will come on the succesor of " The Madness Of Crowds"?
Yes indeed. I will be playing on the next album and of course, I will be getting them involved with mine!

Be still my son, you're home. Oh! When did you became so cold, the blade will keep on descending, all you need is to feel my love...

PostPosted: Fri 31 Jul - 22:55 (2009)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?

PostPosted: Sat 1 Aug - 13:51 (2009)    Post subject: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW FOR THE FORUM Reply with quote

My french forum Anette Olzon:

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:48 (2018)    Post subject: EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW FOR THE FORUM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Troy Donockley International Forum Forum Index -> Troy Donockley -> Interviews All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Free forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Flowers of Evil © theme by larme d'ange 2006